Friday, November 21, 2008

Elder Plautz (the IV)


On Wednesday, November 19, 2008, my fourth son, my sixth child departed for two years to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Now, you'd think that I would be an old pro at this, considering that he is the fourth Elder Plautz to serve a mission from our family. But...not so much!

I cried like a baby. Well, more like a mom.

Actually, I started crying a few days before he left. I cried when he gave his talk on Sunday (which was excellent). I cried when he came down the stairs on his way to be set apart, he, looking so grown up and ready to go. And I cried when I said good-bye at the airport. I cried again, when he was standing in the security check in line, as he turned back for one more look. He looked like a little boy in 'grown up man clothes'. I cried two more times that same day, when I was saying prayers, each time I went to ask for blessings for him.

I think I am done crying now. This is what we raised him for. I am so pleased with his choice and I can't wait to see who he becomes after the Lord has had the opportunity to work miracles on him and through him.


Today, in the mail, came this photo and slip of paper:

This slip of paper accompanied Elder Plautz’s photograph:


And this is what was written on the back of the slip of paper:


It helps to make it even more real for me, to see him standing outside of the MTC. It's the beginning of a new adventure for him. I just know that he is going to have a wonderful experience in the MTC.

To see photos from his departure at RDU Airport, click on this link to Catherine's Blog SLIDE SHOW

No comments:

Post a Comment